Balenciaga creative director Demna has issued a public apology for one of the fashion brand’s recent advertising campaigns, which featured images of young children cuddling teddy bears in fetish clothing.
It featured images of young children dressed in pieces from the Balenciaga Kids line. The plush bear bags, meanwhile, had been featured as accessories in Balenciaga’s Spring-Summer 2023 ready-to-wear show.
In a statement provided to CNN last week, Galimberti said, “I am not in a position to comment (on) Balenciaga’s choices, but I must stress that I was not entitled in whatsoever manner to neither chose (sic) the products, nor the models, nor the combination of the same.”
‘The wrong artistic choice’
Demna’s statement continued, “As much as I would sometimes like to provoke a thought through my work, I would NEVER have an intention to do that with such an awful subject as child abuse that I condemn.” He added that he is committed to working with “child protection organizations” moving forward.
These include a reorganization of the label’s image department, as well as new systems for both internal and external vetting of content and campaigns. Charbit promised communications training for Balenciaga employees, a “listening tour” with child advocacy groups and grants to “help make a difference in protecting children.”
The campaign replicated a corporate environment, with shots staged in a “Manhattan office space.” The page from the ruling was visible atop a cluttered desk in one image. In court documents filed last Friday, Balenciaga argued the document’s presence on set was “malevolent or, at the very least, extraordinarily reckless” on the part of production company North Six, set designer Nicholas Des Jardins and his company.
All three should be held liable, the court filing stated.
But Charbit’s statement today said Balenciaga “has decided not to pursue litigation.” It did not provide a reason why.
CNN has reached out to North Six and Des Jardins for comment, but did not immediately receive a response.